The Customer Service Division of the City's Finance Department handles setup, changes, payments, and other maintenance of utility accounts.
Utility Billing (Meter Services)
The Accounting Division of the City’s Finance Department manages the monthly billing for Henderson Municipal Power and Light, Henderson Water Utilities, and the Municipal Gas Department. It is also responsible for the reading and general service of utility meters.
Declaration of Domicile
If you are a current customer of Henderson Municipal Power & Light, Henderson Water Utility or Henderson Municipal Gas and own a single residence, you are automatically exempt from a new measure that requires paying sales tax on utilities. There's nothing more you need to do.
The measure was passed in House Bill 8 by the 2022 session of the Kentucky General Assembly but includes a residential exemption. The requirement for new domicile documentation takes effect on Jan. 1, 2023.
All new customers will need to submit a completed declaration of domicile form to qualify for the residential exemption.
If you are a customer who owns multiple properties, you will need to submit a form to declare which residence you would like to exempt. Additional residences will be subject to sales tax
Summer Time Energy Savings Tips
Visit Energy.gov for Energy Saving Tips
We are offering these tips to help lower your monthly bill during the summer months:
- Open windows and use portable or ceiling fans instead of operating your air conditioner. Even mild air movement of 1 mph can make you feel three or four degrees cooler. Make sure your ceiling fan is turned for summer - you should feel the air blown downward.
- Use a fan with your window air conditioner to spread the cool air through your home.
- Without blocking air flow, shade your outside compressor. Change air filters monthly during the summer.
- Use a programmable thermostat with your air conditioner to adjust the setting at night or when no one is home.
- Don't place lamps or TVs near your air conditioning thermostat. The heat from these appliances will cause the air conditioner to run longer.
- Install white window shades, drapes, or blinds to reflect heat away from the house. Close curtains on south- and west-facing windows during the day.
- Avoid landscaping with lots of unshaded rock, cement, or asphalt on the south or west sides because it increases the temperature around the house and radiates heat to the house after the sun has set.
- Deciduous trees planted on the south and west sides will keep your house cool in the summer. Just three trees, properly placed around a house, can save between $100 and $250 annually in cooling and heating costs. Daytime air temperatures can be 3 degrees to 6 degrees cooler in tree-shaded neighborhoods
Customers on BUDGET should review their balances to insure monthly payments are adequate for the increased usage.